Thursday, August 13, 2015

Can't Stop Won't Stop Grooving

"It's like I've got this music in my heart saying, "It's gonna be alright."" It has been really difficult to get Taylor Swift (T-swift for convenience) songs out of my head this week. For my niece's birthday, way back in December, I decided to get her tickets to the T-Swift concert at Centrylink Field in Seattle. It still amazes me that I purchased those tickets so long ago. I requested the best seats left and it was still tough to see her from our view. It was a fantastic show, nonetheless!


I have always had a place in my heart for a little T-Swift, but the realizing moment was at the security check point. There was a sign next to each bag check table that said "no selfie sticks," and the sticks were piling up. I don't know if T-Swift had anything to do with this, but I hope she did because for some reason it made me like her more. No judgement to selfie stick users, I just think they are silly. Once we finished our climb to our seats, I explained to my niece that the little blonde person on the stage was her: T-Swift, in real life. She looked at me like she didn't believe me fully.

The show was well done with surprises from Russell Wilson and Ciara. Fetty Wap also made an appearance, he actually performed. I was hoping Ciara would have performed too. I thought to myself, "maybe Ciara didn't perform because her songs are not appropriate for all of the children at the show?" That thought quickly faded when I remembered that Taylor sang Fetty Wap's verse, "Sit your pretty ass soon as you came in the door." 


I'm still not quite sure if my niece completely understood that we were so close to one of her favorite performers. It's tough with my niece because she is absolutely brilliant, but I have to remind myself that she is still just four years old. She amazes me with the concepts she understands at her age. For example, just the other day I was finishing up "To Kill a Mockingbird" and she was laying next me pretending to fall asleep. She was just kind of staring at me and my book as I was flipping the pages in silence. She finally pointed at the book and with the most perplexed facial expression, she asked, "how are you reading without words?" I misunderstood her at first and asked, "you mean without pictures?" She responded with, "no, without words." At that moment, I realized that she just discovered the concept of people being able to read in their head. I explained to her that soon she would learn to read without speaking aloud too.



FYI, if you are coming from Portland to Seattle to see Taylor Swift, I suggest leaving several hours prior to your projected leave time. We ended up enduring a 6-hour-long drive from Portland to Seattle. The sky was dark, and we had a few drops of rain along the way, so I was glad to have worn some layers.


I can't seem to take photos without my niece wanting to play along, so here we are:






No comments:

Post a Comment